A Brief History
|City of Roswell
P.O. Drawer 1838
Roswell, NM 88202-1838
For the first 21 years of Roswell's existence, it was a typical wide-open western town with little, if any, active law enforcement. On August 17, 1891 the RPD was born when Henry Wright became the Town Marshal @ $50 a month.
Between 1891 and 1930 there were 18 marshals or chiefs of police. During the next 50 years there were only 8 turn-overs at the Department's helm. The marshals and his deputies were primarily responsible for enforcing violations of the 1901 Roswell City Code.
1920-1948 were the developmental years of the police department because it went from a small town marshal's office to a more modern police department. In 1931 it received its first police car.
The opening of the Roswell Army Air Field in 1942 with its subsequent population growth ushered in the progressive era of the Department.
The beginning of the modern era began with the appointment of Steve Wisniewski to the Chief's office in 1980.
The Roswell Police Department is now recognized as one of the finest in New Mexico.
(Adapted from A SHORT HISTORY OF THE ROSWELL POLICE DEPARTMENT by Mark McGuffin, 1984)
(Emergency: Dial 911)
Police Headquarters: 624-6770