This tour of forty significant historic buildings contains the section of the historic district which lies north of Second Street. The tour begins at the northeast corner of the district on Richardson and winds through Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Lea, Missouri, and Washington Avenues with slight detours onto Eighth, Seventh, Sixth, Fifth, and Third Streets. The tour ends at the southwest corner of the district on Washington. Although the homes listed here have been recognized as significant, many contributing homes in the district are worth attention for their architectural style and design. Please notice these contributing homes as you enjoy your tour of the Roswell Historic District.
2. 214 W. Seventh - This Italianate style home is significant particularly for its ornate balcony. The house was built in 1912 by C.M. Farnsworth who was partners with C.C. Cagle in the first Ford dealership in Roswell.
4. 700 N. Pennsylvania - This Neo-Gothic period style house has rounded arches which define the side porch, several gables, and contrasting brick patterns in the chimneys. The house was built circa 1920.
7. 311 W. Seventh - This Queen Anne home on half a block was built in 1895 as the home of John William and Sophie Poe. Sophie Poe detailed their lives in Buckboard Days including John William's association with Pat Garrett and his time as sheriff of Lincoln County. The home has also been the home of Burton C. Mossman and General J.P. Riseley.
10. 612 N. Kentucky - This Tudor style, half-timbered house is unusual for the Southwest. E.A. Cahoon, cashier and one of the founders of the First National Bank, built the home in 1928-1929. M.C. Parker of California was the architect.
15. 604 N. Pennsylvania - Rare federal style house with simplified columns supporting porch roof. Built prior to 1912 by Robert H. Kemp, this house was one of the first in Roswell to have bathrooms and indoor plumbing installed during construction.
18. 500 N. Kentucky - Built in 1928, this house exemplifies the Prairie style with its low pitched roof and overhanging eaves. Notice the use of red brick for ornamentation and the sensitive rear office addition which was constructed of brick salvaged from the original garage in order to match the historic construction.
20. 412 N. Kentucky - This home was built prior to 1904 in the Spanish Pueblo Revival style with a crenelated parapet surrounding the flat roof. In 1917, it was purchased by Waid H. Corn, a member of a prominent Chaves County ranching family.
21. 300 N. Kentucky - Deco Brick style built in 1929. In 1929 Central School was razed and this school, originally North Junior High, was constructed. The name was later changed to Pueblo Junior High and in 1968 was converted to the Educational Service Center.
24. 312 N. Lea - California Mission Style home built in 1914 by Elza White, area rancher. The White family later donated land in the Sacramento Mountains to Zia Girl Scout Council for a camp. It was named Camp Mary White in honor of Elza White's daughter. Note the curvelinear gable.
28. 412 W. Seventh - This colonial revival style home was built in 1895 by Edward S. Seay, founder of the first wool warehouse in Roswell. Note the complex roof line with steep gables and shed dormer.
30. 700 N. Lea - This Queen Anne style home features a complex roof with capped dormer creating a small balcony and wrap around porch with lathe turned columns. The house was built in 1902 by R.W. Johnston who moved to Roswell from Midland for health reasons. All wood and trimmings for the house were shipped from Midland.
31. 712 N. Lea - This Greek Revival style house was built in 1910 by real estate developer W.G. Hamilton. The columns were originally part of the First National Bank. The foundation of the house at 710 N. Lea was the former pool for this home.
32. 508 N. Missouri - This is a Gable with Box style house. It was built in 1910 by Dr. Louis B. Boellner. Dr. Boellner was an optometrist but his true avocation was as a botanist. He developed the Kwik-Krop Boellner Strain Black Walnut purchased by Stark Brothers Nursery in 1949.
35. 400 N. Missouri - This Queen Anne style home was built in 1904 by James F. Hinkle, Governor of New Mexico in 1923-1924. The wing on the south side of the home was added in 1995 and is an excellent example of how new construction can replicate historic architecture. A covered breezeway leads to the old carriage house in the rear.
40. 300 N. Washington - The six gables, massive pillars, and wide roof overhang with exposed rafters make this home an excellent example of the Bungalow style. Notice the decorative screen door grill of the cowboy on a rearing horse. The home was built sometime between 1918 and 1926.
Copyright © 1995-2009 Historical Society for Southeast New