Other
Home ] Up ] Search ]

 

Home
Search

Gospel Village
Habitat for Humanity
Historic District
RIO

North
South
Other
About
Map
Preservation Week

 


ROSWELL HISTORIC DISTRICT TOUR

OTHER SIGNIFICANT HISTORIC
ARCHITECTURE IN ROSWELL

In addition to the designated historic district, Roswell contains several other historically and architecturally significant buildings throughout the city. Following is a brief description of some of these other important buildings.

Carnegie Library - 123 W. Third - This building demonstrates how historic structures can serve contemporary purposes with minimal remodeling. Although the building still bears the name Carnegie Library and has a book return slot in the front facade, the Roswell Public Library has been located at Fourth and Pennsylvania since 1978. This building now houses various business enterprises of the Murphy family. A discreet brass plaque on the left door column identifies the building as Centaur Royalty Corporation.

Old Conoco Station/Hispano Chamber of Commerce, 412 N. Main - Visitors Center.

Saunders-Crosby House/Red Cross - 200 E. Deming - This house is now the offices of the Roswell Red Cross. It represents perhaps the finest example of Queen Anne style in Roswell. Significant features are the two story hexagonal cupola and the complimentary hexagonal covered porch. The home was built in 1905 by C.C. Emerson, a local banker. In 1965 the house was donated to the National Red Cross by Mrs. Ruby Saunders Crosby.

Chaves County Court House

Chaves County Court House - 400 N. Main - This Neo-Classic style structure is the oldest continually used public building in Roswell. I.H. and W.M. Rapp of Trinidad, Colorado, served as design architects preparing the building plans and specifications. Lucius Dill was the supervising architect and Lyon and Axtell were the contractors. The courthouse was built in 1910-1911 and dedicated just in time for the celebration of New Mexico's entry into the Union as the forty-seventh state in 1912. Significant architectural features of the courthouse are the green tiled dome, carved trim, and massive entry doors. The interior of the courthouse has been recently restored and features the original Greek key design tile floors, ornate plasterwork, and brass chandeliers. The courthouse is open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except for holidays.

Chihuahuita Historic District - East Tilden, Alameda, and Walnut Blocks Numbered 700 and South Mulberry and Elm Blocks Numbered 100 - Chihuahuita is on the New Mexico Register of Cultural Properties as a rare example of original Hispanic settlement architecture in New Mexico. The barrio of Chihuahua was founded before Roswell was developed and mention of an Hispanic settlement on the Rio Hondo in 1867 most likely refers to this neighborhood. For additional information on Chihuahuita, please consult Treasures of History: Historic Buildings in Chaves County, 1870-1935 available at the Historical Society for Southeast New Mexico.

South Spring Ranch - Old Dexter Highway - This was the headquarters for John Chisum's Jingle Bob Ranch from 1874 to 1884. The ranch was purchased by J.J. Hagerman in 1892. Most of the buildings on the ranch today were built by Hagerman around the turn of the century.

New Mexico Military Institute

New Mexico Military Institute - Main and College - NMMI is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an individual historic district. The school was founded in 1890 as the Goss Military Institute. Adopted by the Territory of New Mexico in 1893, it was renamed New Mexico Military Institute. In 1898 the school moved to its present location, a forty acre tract donated by J.J. Hagerman. In 1907, I.H. and W.M. Rapp of Trinidad, Colorado, developed a master plan for the construction of the school which is still followed today. The style is known as Scottish Castle or Military Gothic and features Kansas buff brick, crenelated parapets, corner towers, and decorative brick detailing.

Roswell Historic District Tour
Significant Historic Architecture North of Second Street
Significant Historic Architecture South of Second Street
About This Site
Map
Copyright 1995-2009 Historical Society for Southeast New Mexico
and Roswell Web Services, All Rights Reserved
Provided for HSSNM as part of the Roswell community project
WebMaster: BobBush@Roswell-USA.com